I can’t take too much credit for Give And Take in the Musidora as I didn’t
advise a bet, however, it is pleasing to have identified a back end
two-year-old with plenty of potential at three. I am pretty sure that she will
improve again when upped to a mile and a half, given her dam was a full sister
to the excellent Fame And Glory.
Three horses for Friday, two from the handicappers to follow and one
from the dark horses.
2.55 York
I had Sheikha Reika down as a handicapper to follow for this season but
after bolting up in a maiden on seasonal reappearance it became apparent that
she would be aiming for a much higher level.
She may have a lot to do at the ratings but I think she has the most
potential in the field. She gets her optimum conditions today and I fancy her
to carry on improving. There is no value
in her price so I will just be watching with interest.
A 550,000 GNS full sister to
Lumiere. Her first start was in an Ascot novice race, where she took a while to
pick up but finished her race off really nicely. She looked to have her second
race in the bag a furlong out at Newmarket but got turned over at odds-on in
the last few strides (First two pulled four lengths clear). The third horse,
Hadith, has won twice since and is now rated 97. Hadith did beat Sheikha Reika
and reverse the form at Nottingham next time but this was on soft ground
getting first run on Sheikha Reika. Given Sheikha Reika’s high level of two-year-old
form and her pedigree, she has the ability to make a three-figure three-year-old.
It is slightly concerning that she has finished second three times, but I would
be tempted to persist with her for the next couple of starts.
4.25 Newmarket
A horse I am really looking forward to seeing this season is Wadilsafa. He is from an excellent
Shadwell family and looks just the type to make an exciting
three-year-old. It will be an
interesting rematch between Herculean and Wadilsafa; although there is a 7lb
swing in the weights between the two, Herculean was well on top at the end last
time. That novice race has worked out really well, so I am pretty sure that
whoever comes out on top tomorrow, both horses should be competitive in group
company later on in the season.
Wadilsafa (Owen Burrows)
Sire – Frankel.
Dam – Rumoush
A half-brother
to Talaayeb and Muntazah, Wadilsafa has raced once and is still a maiden. He
ran in an excellent maiden at Ascot behind Herculean, just lacking the pace of
the winner. The race was over seven furlongs so he will appreciate a step up in
trip. The form of that maiden is working out quite well, as Archie McKellar
(had race experience), was back in third and is now rated 103. Merlin Magic was five lengths behind
Wadilsafa and deemed good enough to run in the Racing Post Trophy. This horse
should contend group races this season.
5.40 York
This looks weaker than last year’s race won by Alqamar. Mark Johnston has won the race a couple of years back with Yorkidding and his two runners at the top
of the weights look strong contenders on
form. Victory Chime is one of my handicappers to follow this year and I was really impressed with the manner of his victory at Goodwood last time. He was drawn wide and must have used a fair amount of energy getting to the front under Louis Steward. He then dictated the race from the front and always looked like holding off any challengers. I think he has a fair bit more to give and the handicapper has been very fair putting him up 6lbs.
Dam a half-sister to the useful
Pealer (by same sire) for John Gosden last season, Victory Chime ran her best
race on debut at Nottingham, where she travelled strongly throughout before
being outpaced in the straight but stayed on nicely. The first three horses
haven’t run since but the fourth has won a handicap off 74 and the sixth bolted
up next time in a similar event at Nottingham. Victory Chime ran in the latter
race but finished nine lengths behind the winner, she never got into the race
and again stayed on late in the day. I would be slightly concerned after her
worst performance was in her final race to date at Kempton, racing wide
throughout. The promise she showed on her first two starts, travelling well
before being outpaced indicates that she will be much better once upped in
trip, on a galloping track.
1 pt win VICTORY CHIME (6/1 Bet365)
No comments:
Post a Comment